Story of Highbrae

From the middle and late Victorian era as the City of Dunedin prospered from the effects of the Otago gold rush, gentlemen of substance jostled for the best places to build their homes. High Street, which boasted a double line, cable drawn tram system, was favoured as one of the top streets in the country. In 1908 the family of Thomas Baird contracted Aburn builders to construct a modern residence at the top of a sharp incline, overlooking the city and harbour. It would be a substantial four bedroom, double storey home featuring the most up-to-date fittings and furnishings. With the Cable cars passing the gate, transportation from the city was no problem. For many years the house served the Bairds and other subseqent owners, until in 2001 it was bought by Stephen and Fienie Clark to use as their home and Guesthouse. Native timbered stairways, stained glass windows, ornamental tile work in the porch area, made it an attractive choice for what they had in mind. Since that time they have nurtured and maintained the house and improved areas in need of restoration. It is an ongoing labour of love, but one which they both enjoy. They hope that you will come and enjoy it with them!